Automobile policyholders may be affected by a proposed class action settlement.
A state court authorized this legal notice.
- A settlement has been reached in a class action lawsuit about (a) whether Direct General Insurance Company of Louisiana ("Direct General") improperly valued and/or adjusted total loss automobile damage insurance claims for automobile insurance policyholders for less than Direct General was required by law or contract to pay, and (b) the extent of Direct General's liability with respect thereto.
- In accordance with the terms of the settlement agreement. Direct General may fund up to a $710,000.00 to pay holders of valid and timely claims, as well as lawyers' fees, costs, and expenses approved by the Court.
- In the class action, it was alleged that Direct General improperly undervalued total loss insurance claims by utilizing a total loss valuation system provided by Mitchell International, Inc. to value such claims instead of basing its evaluation of such claims upon values derived from materials published by NADA or Kelly Blue Book.
- Your legal rights are affected whether you act or do not act. Read this notice carefully
|YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS IN THIS LAWSUIT:|
|If you are a member of the class and wish to stay in the litigation, you need not do anything and you will be bound by its terms on the Effective Date.|
|You will get no payment from this settlement. This is the only option that allows you to be part of any other lawsuit against Direct General or other parties being released about the legal claims resolved in this settlement. Any request to exclude you from the settlement must be postmarked no later than September 11, 2019.|
|Write to the Court about why you don't like the settlement. Objections must be postmarked no later than September 11, 2019.|
GO TO A HEARING
|Speak in Court about the settlement. The Fairness Hearing will start at 1:00 p.m. on October 2, 2019.|
- These rights and options – and the deadlines to exercise them – are explained in this notice.
- The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the settlement. Payments will be made only if the Court approves the settlement and after appeals, if any, are resolved. Please be patient.